Friday, December 19, 2014

Bringing in the New Year + New Look










I am no longer putting relaxers in my hair and I am going back to my natural hair! For those who know knowing about African American hair, and/or have no clue what a relaxer is I will tell you. A relaxer is a cream that makes naturally curly hair straight and easier to straighten/manage. It reduces the natural curls of the hair by breaking down the hair strand and ultimately altering the texture. A relaxer allows a person to have semi-permanent straight hair without any frizz. "Semi-permanent" meaning you have to frequently apply more chemical relaxer to the roots. It depends on the person but usually for about 6 to 8 weeks, it is time to apply the relaxer again to maintain the straight look. 

So without boring you guys to death with a detailed synopsis of what a relaxer is I'll stop her. I have been getting my hair relaxed since I was in Elementary school. Just recently I have noticed that applying this strong chemical to my hair every eight weeks is damaging it. So now I am longer putting that stuff in my hair. It has been three months so far, and though it is liberating it is also challenging. There are some days I love it and there are other days I hate it.  Sometimes I just want to give in and start relaxing my hair again. Then I quickly remind myself of why I am doing this and get back on track. 

I am starting off the new year with a new look and hopefully a new and improved me. Confident to flaunt the hair that God gave me!! 


Outfit:
Collard Top: American Apparel old
Top: Thrifted old
Sweater: Forever 21 old
Skirt: Urban Outfitters old
Camera Bag: La La Magic 

Have a great weekend, lovelies!
We are 6 days away from Christmas!! 
xo Precious 

14 comments:

  1. such a lovely look :)

    xxx

    anna from http://stylelovely.com/mimundonormal/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning post and pictures!
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Precious! I'm loving this outfit! You look so cute and chic!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this outfit! those prints look so good together!
    Emma xx
    http://iemmafashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely fantastic <3 I would wear this entire outfit. The textures, the mix in prints, the layers. Beautiful job with this! Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment for me, too! I appreciated it. ^_^ I flipped through your blog and I'm totally smitten. I hope you don't mind if I stalk you on Bloglovin..heh. :P

    Stay sweet and keep up the great work!

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hair is looking great! I've recently been trying to be nicer to my hair too, not using my straightener or curler as much, letting it do whatever it wants to do and rolling with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look so cute in this! removing the chemicals from your hair sounds like a good step and I think you'll probably end up happy with the decision :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your curly hair looks great, and you'll probably be happier in the long run! I recently went from bleaching my hair blonde to my natural brunette color. It's so much healthier. Love the skirt in this post, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your hair!!

    xx nikki
    www.dream-in-neon.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute outfit! Flaunt your natural hair girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your mixing of prints! I'm definitely trying to get braver with doing that.

    http://rhythmofalife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so pretty!! And i love love love how you're mixing prints in an unexpected way, without going over the top.

    X, Carina
    Running White Horses | Fashion + Travel

    ReplyDelete